Hi, I am a Ph.D. candidate (expected to graduate in 2018) in the Department of ECE at Carnegie Mellon University.
My main research interests are in deep learning and it applications in natural language processing and understanding.
I work in SPEECH@SV group in CMU Silicon Valley Campus, advised by Professor Ian Lane.
I received my Bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) in 2011.
Before joining CMU in 2013, I was at Oracle building big data solutions on Hadoop.
I am working on designing end-to-end trainable neural network models for spoken language understanding and dialog systems.
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2013.08 - Present)
- Research Area: Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Natural Language Understanding, Spoken Dialog Systems.
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- B.Eng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (2007.08 - 2011.06)
- Minor Degree: Business
- GPA 4.87/5.0 (Top 2%)
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Exchange student in school of Information and Communication Technology (2010.01 - 2010.06)
- Google Research
Software Engineer Intern (2017.05 - Present)
- Design and develop end-to-end trainable neural network model for task-oriented dialog that shows robust performance in tracking dialog state and handling ambiguous user input
- Optimize dialog policy with deep reinforcement learning in the end-to-end trainable framework
Software Engineer Intern (2015.05 - 2015.08)
- Developed and integrated Natural Language Understanding modules (intent identification & semantic tagging) with Capio’s Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) core engine
- Designed contextual RNN language model in Capio’s core engine for enhanced ASR performance
Software Engineer Intern (2014.05 - 2014.08)
- Designed and developed the first version of Capio’s cloud infrastructure and APIs for speech recognition
Technical Consultant / Data Engineer (2011.07 - 2013.07)
- Designed and delivered Big Data solution to top tier telecommunication companies in Oracle APAC
- Took full accountability for Big Data project delivery: gathering functional requirements, designing
and developing applications, testing and trouble shooting, engaging and advising clients
- Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore
Research Intern (2009.07 - 2009.12)
- Conducted research on designing high performance polarization rotators and splitters
- Outstanding Entry Award - CMU Silicon Valley Annual Tech Showcase (2014.08)
- Carnegie Institute of Technology Dean’s Fellowship (2013.08)
- Oracle Consulting Services ASEAN - Consultant of the Month (2012.05)
- NTU Industrial Attachment Book Prize (Best Overall Performance) (2010.12)
- NTU EEE Dean’s List and President Research Scholar (2008/09/10/11)
- Project Sponsor. 11-751/18-781 Speech Recognition and Understanding, CMU. Fall 2016
- Teaching Assistant for 11-755/18-797 Machine Learning for Signal Processing, CMU. Fall 2015
- Teaching Assistant for 18-645 How to Write Fast Code, CMU. Spring 2015
Last updated: June, 2017